Wat Chinorasaram Woravihara
( Wat Chinoros ) is located on the bank of the Morn Canal on Isaraphap
Road opposite the Naval Docks. The princely monk, Somdej Phra Maha
Somanachao Krom Phra Poramanuchit Chinoros ordered the construction
of the temple in approximately 1836.
King Rama IV ordered the artisans
to sculpt and draw pictures of the naga, or mythical serpent, in
many places as a reminder of the prince's former name, which was
, Prince Wasukri. He also had a crown sculpted that was placed above
the frame behind the presiding Buddha image in the phra ubosot.
The phra ubosot of Wat Chinorasaram
Woravihara displays artistic styles of the Third Reign. Decorative
roof tiles, the chofa, bai raka gable apex ornaments, the gable
decorated with plaster plants and flowers and half figures a deity
with folded hands in the center, and decorated with gold leaf on
pieces of glass. The door and window frames bear kanok designs in
gilded plaster studded with glass. The interior door and window
panels are decorated with haw or toh chin, patterns. The exteriors
are decorated with lai rod nam pattern with nagas flying in the
clouds. The exterior of the central door depicts Siew kang holding
a fan and treading on a naga. The ceiling is painted red and decorated
with naga fretwork and covered with gold leaf.
The murals in the phra ubosot differ
from those found elsewhere. For example in front of the presiding
Buddha image at the level of the windows, there are maps of Wat
Chinoros, the canal, river and the Grand Palace and elsewhere are
depictions of various temples.
Sadly, however, the murals and patterns
have for the most part deteriorated badly.